"Cottie Methvin, my father, was born in Baldwin County, Ga. April l0, 1805. He married Martha Ann Drake (April 19, 1818-July 4, 1899) of Louisville, Jefferson County, Ga. in 1831. He moved to Fayette Co. Ga. and settled near English's Mill, now Star's Mill. He resided there for several years and moved over into Coweta County, near Ringbone, now Keadron. He raised a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters namely, George Ann, Russell, Thomas W., Lorenzo, Mary, Richard R., John F. (my name), William L., Eliza, and Cottie D. George Ann, Lorenzo, and Mary died in 1844. In the fall of 1851, father moved to Sumpter County, Ga. Eliza and Cottie D. were born there. In September 1857 Russell died and is buried at the Braswell Cemetery near Andersonville, Ga. In the winter of 1857 father moved back to Coweta County, Ga. and settled on then Gordon Road five miles southeast of Newnan, Ga. He resided there until 1872 and moved to Senoia and resided there until his death which occurred on the 7th day of February 1885, and is buried in the cemetery at Senoia. My mother, Martha Ann Methvin was born April 19, 1818 and died the 4th of July of 1899, and is buried by the side of father in the cemetery at Senoia.
1840 Coweta County, Georgia page 337 Cathy Methain 3 males under 5, 1 male 30-40; 1 female 5-10, 1 female 15-20
In the 1850 census, Cottie and family was living next door to his wife's mother and her family.
THE CHILDREN OF COTTIE
1) GEORGE ANN METHVIN
died in 1844
2) RUSSELL METHVIN
died Sept. 1857
3) THOMAS W. METHVIN married Mary Wright of Coweta Co., in December 1865, and settled at Senoia, Ga., reared a family of four children, one son and three daughters, Daniel R., Ella, Laura and Lucy. Daniel R. lives at Anniston, Al., has a wife and six children, three sons and three daughters. Laura and Lucy died several years ago. (Laura married Early J. Oglertree on 12/23/1891, Lucy married C.E. Dearman on 12/28/1897) Laura left a family of several children. Ella D. married D.Q. Vining (6/8/1893) and resides at Manchester, Meriwether County. In 1884 brother Thomas' first wife died and he married a second wife, Ophelia J. Peek (12/l/1885) of Turin, Ga. By this union he reared a family of four children, three sons and one daughter, Nix, Clarence, Henry and Cathleen. Nix married and has two children, son and daughter, and resides in Decatur, Dekalb Co., Ga. Clarence lives in Birmingham, Al. and has a wife and several children. Henry was accidently killed at Manchester, Meriwether Co., Ga., and left a wife and one child, a daughter. Cathleen Methvin married Nixon Arnall of Senoia Ga., she now resides in New Orleans, La., has no children.
Thomas William was born in Fayette County, Georgia on August 4, 1839. He was a farmer and postmaster. He married Mary Evie Wright (December 11, 1848 Coweta County, Georgia-November 1, 1884) on February 13, 1866. They had four children before her death.
(a) Daniel Richard Methvin, born February 12, 1868 in Senoia, Georgia. His wife was Kitty DeArman, married December 27, 1894. They were living in Anniston, Calhoun County, Alabama in 1920. He was listed as age 51 born Georgia, wife Kittie D. age 46 born Alabama, son Roy R. age 18, Paul H. age 16 and daughter Kittie R age 10. Another son, Leon age 20 was also living in Anniston with wife Lily age 19, son Cliff age 1 11/12 and Nellie L age 3/12.
(b) Ella D. Methvin, born September 21, 1870 in Senoia, Georgia. She married Daniel Quincy Vining June 8, 1893 and resided at Manchester, Meriwether County, Georgia.
(c) Laura Methvin, born August 16, 1873 in Senoia, married Earl J. Ogletree on December 23, 1891.
(d) Lucy Methvin born Jan 31, 1876, married C.E. DeArman on December 28, 1897
After Mary's death, Thomas married Ophelia J. Peek of Turin, Georgia and they had 4 children.
(f) Nix Methvin, born August 27, 1886, married Eva Venable Bagwell on December 24, 1922. They had one son and daughter and lived in Decatur, Georgia.
(g) Clarence Methvin born January 4, 1888 in Senoia, Georgia. He married Neva Leslie McIntire born September 4, 1895 in Rome Georgia. They had 7 children and lived in Birmingham, Alabama. Clarence owned and worked at Clarence Methvin Auto Top Company. Clarence died July 5th, 1952 in Birmingham. Their children were 1) Thomas (February 27, 1917-1940), who had Thomas Jr (Reid) and Mack. Thomas Jr. and wife Rose had Thomas Reid Methvin III, who lives in Louisiana. 2) Clarence born February 22, 1919, 3) Lee Bernard born February 5, 1921, 4) Cecil Gaines born May 20, 1923, 5) Leslie David born April 1925, 6) Howard Henry born July 1932, 7) Kathleen born February 7, 1935.
(h) Cathleen Methvin born November, 1889, married Nixon Arnall of Senoia, Georgia on January 11, 1910 and moved to New Orleans. They had no children.
(i) Henry Clay Methvin, born July 1891, married Lily Mae Griffith, February 28, 1917. He was accidently killed at Manchester, Meriwether County, Georgia, leaving a wife and child.
6) RICHARD R. METHVIN married
Elizabeth Hendrix of Coweta County in 1867, reared a family of five sons and three
daughters; namely, George A., Lodie, Lemuel C., Mattie Lou, Lelia, Frank R. Walter J., and
Wilbur E. (one son Charlie R. died at the age of five years). He moved to Clebourn Co.
Al., entered into the merchantile business and established a post office in a rural area
which was known as Methvin, Ala. Several years later he moved to Trade, Cullman County,
Ala., a few years later he moved to Bear Creek, Marion County, Ala., where he engaged in
the general merchandise business until just a few years before he died. After retiring
from the mercantile business he moved to Leoma, Lawrence Co. Tenn., and resided there
until he died which was in March of 1921. He left his wife and eight children surviving,
his wife resided in Leana, Tenn. until a year or so before she died at which time she
moved to Haleyville, Winston Co., Ala. She died there on the 27th day of January 1936 at
the age of 91 years.
8) WILLIAM L. METHVIN married Clementine Tidwell of Meriwether Co., Ga., and reared a family of four daughters. He moved to Birmingham, Al. in 1890. He died there in 1927, three of his daughters and their families live in Birmingham, One daughter married C.L. Passmore lives in Little Rock, Ark. In the 1870 Meriwether County Ga. census, William and family were living in Rocky Mount. William was listed as a 22 year old farmer from Georgia, wife Clementine age 26, daughter Martha age 2 and son Russell age 1. Russell apparently died prior to 1880.
9) Sister ELIZA METHVIN married W.J. Perdue of Meriwether County, reared a family of five sons and three daughters. Her husband died August 9, 1891, and his wife and children moved to Cullman County, Alabama. The children married off and have families and all reside in Cullman, so far as I know. Sister Eliza died in Cullman in June 1931. Age 78.
10) COTTON D. METHVIN went from Senoia, Ga. to Blount County, Ala. married and reared a family of four sons and one daughter. His wife died and all his children married off and reside in Cullman County, except one son, who resides in Akron, Ohio and is single. He lives among his children and is now seventy seven years of age. "