Thomas, the son of Levi Methvin, was born prior to 1809. He died before his father Levi Methvin's death in the 1840's. Thomas is known to have one son, James D. Methvin, who was born about 1822 in Madison County, Alabama. James was married September 6, 1844 in Arkansas to Laurinda Standifer (ca. 1821-ca. 1861) James and Laurinda were living next door to her parents in 1850 in Washington County, Arkansas.
1850 Washington County, Arkansas, West Fork Township, page 376A
|26 Methvin James||28||M||Farmer||Al|
Next door was Luke Standifer (age 64 Virginia) and Jemima (53, Virginia).
The family moved to the Oregon Territory where they settled a claim in 1852. The land was in Lane County, for 223.57 acres, land claim # 1737.
In 1869, James was listed in the Great Register of Tulare County, California as being 47 years old, born in Alabama, a farmer living in the Tule River Precinct. Also Thomas Scott Methvin was listed as 21 born in Arkansas and Luke Preston was 23 born Arkansas.
|115 118 James Methvin||48||Mo||Laborer $500|
Children of James D. and Laurinda Standifer Methvin
1) Luke Preston Methvin, born March 13, 1846 in Washington County, Arkansas, died 1916-1917 in Texas. He married Minnie Eldora Jamieson (died December 26, 1907) of Tehama County, California on May 24, 1885. They had a son, Preston who died December 10, 1898 at the age of 16 days old.
2) Thomas Scott Methvin (April 4, 1848 in Washington County, Arkansas-April 8, 1918, Modoc County, California) married Emma Jean Stewart (1845, Michigan-July 6, 1915, Alturas, California), on April 6, 1871. Their children were a) Lee Preston Methvin (August 22, 1871, Ventura, California-April 13, 1941, Chico, Butte County, California) married Olive Thorne (born June 14, 1880, The Dalles, Oregon) on June 1, 1899 in Kelseyville, Lake County, California. They had 1) Lottie May Methvin (born March 11, 1900 in Sonoma County, Californis. She married first Jesse Earl Burns on September 22, 1921 in Bakerfield, Kern County, California and they had a daughter Irene May Burns on October 4, 1924. They divorced and she married second Paul Ray Woodruff, also known as Frank Kelly. Their children were i) Anna Kelly (July 7, 1928-December 12, 1985 Chico, California) married Arnold Johnson. ii) Roberta Kelly born May 8, 1930, married Donald R. McSparrin. iii) Fred Kelly, born April 10, 1933. iv) Betty Jean Kelly, born August 27, 1935, married Cecil V. Gard. 2) Ivy Trelma Methvin, born May 21, 1903 in Middleton, Lake County, California, married Audie Kelch 3) Ernest Roy Methvin (May 17, 1905 Middleton, California-June 26, 1983) married Martha McBride. 4) Estella Rosalee Methvin, born June 20, 1908, Alturas, Modoc County, California, married first Al Servine, second Al Kogler 4) Mabel Silvia Methvin, born September 22, 1913, Grant's Pass, Josephine County, Oregon, died April 11, 1993. She married first Pat Staccio, second, Joe Bettencourt. b) Roy Scott Methvin (December 1, 1874 Oregon-February 19, 1933, Tehama County, California) c) Dorr Veral Methvin, born May 19, 1877, died 1964 Berryville, Virginia, married Sallie Thompson in Alturas, California. They had 7 children; Cometrice (born 1903 married Raymond Tierney), Electra Ruby (1905), Ruel DuPrey (1907), Rondel Dorr (1908), Ray Grandville (1910), Romaine Alvin (1912), Dorothy Imogene (1915-1917). Dorr and Sallie divorced in 1919 and he moved to Winchester, Virginia and married Sadie Ellen Funkhouser in Moorville, West Virginia and had children Margie (1922), Verle Westley (1924), Reva Ellen (1927), Lillian Elizabeth (1928), Don Clayton (1932), Daniel Edward (1937) and Dorothy Evelyn (1937). d) Clair Methvin, born August 10, 1880/81, died March 3, 1919, Plumas County, California. He married Lela Slieger, March 3, 1905.
3) William Rufus (Rufe) King Methvin (September 8, 1850 Washington County, Arkansas- December 12, 1910) never married.
4) James Monroe Methvin (June 15, 1853 Lane County, Oregon-December 12, 1910 Los Angeles, California) married Nancy Harris (February 2, 1857-February 5, 1927). He was a carpenter. In the 1910 census he was 56, Nancy 52, Ethel 31, Claudie 29, Jorene 31.
5) Robert Bruce Methvin (February 1, 1856 Lane County, Oregon,- August 29, 1934 Visalia, California) never married. He was registered in the 1898 Tulare Co., California Great Register as being 40 years old born in Oregon.
6) Fernando Sebern (Sebe) Methvin (May 28, 1858 Lane County, Oregon-1948 Ventura, California, married Emma Florence Sebastian. Children included Jesse Fernando Methvin born August 16, 1887, Elma Robert Methvin born 1893, Lorena Elizabeth Methvin born October 26, 1895 and Norma Violet Methvin born June 14, 1897.
7) Mark Andrew Methvin (September 10, 1860 Lane County, Oregon-January 9, 1934 Red Bluff, California) never married. In 1920 he was living in the home of James Bandon in Antelope, Tehama County, California as a hired sheepherder. In the 1890 Great Register if Tulare County, Oregon, he was listed as Andrew Jefferson Methvin age 31 from Visalia, Oregon.
James D. Methvin married 2nd. Christina Catherine Boulware Weir Cozart, the daughter of Phillip and Mary Baley Boulware on December 6, 1874 in Oroville, Butte County, California. He was her third husband, as she had been married previously to Edward Thomas Weir and William Cozart. After James' death in the early 1880's, she married 4th George Doan, and later died in 1918.
Children of James D. and Christina Catherine Methvin
1) Laura Catherine Methvin (December 12, 1875 Colusa County, California-December, 1956 Mendicino, California), married Hiram Begley. They had Hazel L. Begley (November 4, 1896), Andrew Walter Begley (April 22, 1880), Mildred (February 24, 1890), Cary Begley (April 30, 1892), Earl Phillip Begley (May 1, 1903).
2) Allen General Methvin (September 10, 1877 Colusa County, California-August 11, 1937 Napa, California) married Edna Luella McHenry on June 15, 1909 in Redding, Shasta Co. California. Probable children were a) Velma Methvin b) Oscar Methvin c) Elva Methvin d) Ralph Methvin had 5 children, Ted, Corky, Jean, Joan and Judy e) Leola Adele Methvin, born 1913, was shot by her ex-husband Bill Coleman on December 15, 1936 f) Catherine Ada Methvin born 1914 g) Willis Alton Methvin born March 5, 1916, h) Edna California Methvin born February 27, 1917 i) Burl Methvin (March 12, 1921-January 1, 1962) j) Dean Alvin Methvin born August 30, 1922 in Cresent City, California with wife Ellie has daughters Lynn Wing, Arlene Kahn, Sandra Bandhaver and Terri Henney. k) Shirley Althea born August 2, 1924 l) Theodore Methvin, born 1926, died in a house fire at the age of 2.
3) Lena C. Methvin (August 10, 1879 Butte, California-1932 Alemeda, California)
James D. Methvin became a member of the San Buenaventura Masonic Lodge April 1, 1871 and was listed as a Master Mason from 1871-1876.
Home Levi Methvin (Father)